The International Cricket Council (ICC) late on Monday night (February 9, 2026) confirmed that Pakistan will honour its commitment of playing all the matches, including the marquee clash against India in Colombo on February 15, of the ongoing Men’s T20 World Cup.“The dialogue between ICC and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) took place as part of a broader engagement, with both parties recognising the need for constructive dealings and being united, committed and purposeful in their aspirations to serve the best interests of the game with integrity, neutrality and cooperation,” read an ICC statement, issued on Monday night (February 9, 2026).“In that prevailing spirit, it was agreed that all members will respect their commitments as per the terms of participation for ICC events and do all that is necessary to ensure that the ongoing edition of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup is a success.”The statement was an affirmation of PCB’s commitment to play all the games in the tournament, as stated in the Members’ Participation Agreement (MPA) that is signed between the ICC and each of the 12 ICC full members.Ever since the Government of Pakistan had last week directed the Pakistan team to not take the field against India in a bid to support Bangladesh, the global cricket ecosystem was in a fix over the fate of the marquee clash that is the epicentre of cricket’s finances.Minutes earlier, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) president had requested the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and its chief, Mohsin Naqvi, also an influential Minister in Pakistan, to play against India.An official statement by the Government of Pakistan stated that the PCB had received requests from multiple cricket boards. “The Government of Pakistan has reviewed the formal requests extended to the PCB by the Bangladesh Cricket Board, as well as the supporting communications from Sri Lanka, the United Arab Emirates, and other member nations. These correspondences sought Pakistan’s leadership in securing a viable solution to recent challenges,” it said, after stating that Naqvi briefed Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif about the outcomes of the meetings with ICC.“This evening, the Prime Minister held a telephone call with H.E. Anura Kumara Dissanayake, President of Sri Lanka. During their warm and friendly conversation, they recalled that Pakistan and Sri Lanka had always stood shoulder to shoulder, especially during challenging times. The Sri Lankan President requested the Prime Minister to accord serious consideration to amicably resolving the current impasse.In view of the outcomes achieved in multilateral discussions, as well as the request of friendly countries, the Government of Pakistan hereby directs the Pakistan National Cricket Team to take the field on February 15, 2026, for its scheduled fixture in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.”Over the last couple of days, ICC directors Imran Khwaja (Singapore) and Mubashir Usmani (UAE) held multiple rounds of meetings in Lahore with Naqvi, PCB officials and Islam, who had travelled from Dhaka.A separate ICC statement confirmed that following the meetings, the ICC will not financially penalise Bangladesh for withdrawing from the T20 World Cup and Bangladesh will host an additional ICC event prior to the Men’s World Cup 2041, “subject to the usual ICC hosting processes, timelines and operational requirements”.Sanjog Gupta, the ICC chief executive, said: “Bangladesh’s absence from the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup is regrettable, but it does not alter the ICC’s enduring commitment to Bangladesh as a core cricketing nation. Our focus continues to be on working closely with key stakeholders, including BCB to ensure the sport grows sustainably in the country and that future opportunities for its players and fans are strengthened.Bangladesh remains a priority cricket ecosystem deserving of long-term investment in its development, competitiveness and global integration, and is not defined by short-term disruptions.”The friction between Bangladesh and the ICC began on January 3 with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) forcing Kolkata Knight Riders to withdraw Mustafizur Rahman — the only Bangladeshi cricketer signed for the 2026 Indian Premier League – to withdraw from the franchise-based league promoted by the BCCI.A day later, the BCB on its government’s directive, expressed to the ICC its inability to travel to India, citing security concerns. The fallout lasted over a fortnight before the ICC Board passed a resolution to replace Bangladesh with Scotland for the T20 World Cup.Since Pakistan was the only ICC Board member to have openly supported Bangladesh, the Pakistan government last week had announced the decision to forfeit the game against India. With more than a third of the ICC World Cup revenue dependent on the India versus Pakistan clash, the ICC stepped in to negotiate with the PCB.Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake thanked Pakistan’s PM Sharif for withdrawing from boycott calls.Taking it to X, Mr. Dissanayake wrote, “Delighted that the eagerly awaited India and Pakistan match at the ongoing T20 Cricket World Cup in Colombo will proceed as planned. As co-host of the tournament, Sri Lanka thanks the ICC and all concerned for their efforts. Sri Lanka hasn’t forgotten the solidarity shown by both India and Pakistan during the 1996 World Cup, when they played in Colombo at a time when others refrained due to security concerns.”
Click here to read article