Real Madrid: Why Benfica Champions League tie is pivotal moment for Alvaro Arbeloa

0
Alvaro Arbeloa's Real Madrid tenure is only five weeks old - but Tuesday's Champions League trip to Benfica already feels like it could be a defining night for the fledgling boss.

The 43-year-old replaced Xabi Alonso last month and, despite no official confirmation, sources close to both the club and Arbeloa told BBC Sport he has a contract until the end of next season.

Real knew the appointment of a head coach with no top-level managerial experience was risky.

And after a slow start for Arbeloa and a less than positive reception from supporters, they quickly started planning for potential replacements - including former Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca - in case another change was needed.

But after six wins from their past seven matches, there is a new feeling of calm among the Real hierarchy with the club top of La Liga. However, Arbeloa will know failure in Europe would pile the pressure back on once again.

Real's only loss in those seven games came against Benfica, when a sensational 4-2 victory by Jose Mourinho's side left Los Blancos needing a play-off against the same opponents to stay in the competition they have won six times in 12 years.

Of course there is a second leg at home to come on Wednesday, 25 February, but failing to reach at least the last 16 - for the first time in more than three decades - is unthinkable for the Real faithful.

Since the defeat in Lisbon in January, Arbeloa has made some changes, including tweaking Real's formation.

That match was the last time he played with a 4-3-3 formation, where Franco Mastantuono, Kylian Mbappe and Vinicius Jr started as the front three.

In Real's subsequent three games, Arbeloa has changed to a 4-4-2 set-up, where Mastantuono drops back into midfield to leave Gonzalo Garcia, Vinicius and Mbappe as rotating striker options.

"Defensively, it's a structure that closes down the midfield corridor, where there are more players, and allows us to be more compact," Arbeloa said.

"With the type of players we have, if we want to counter-attack, it also allows us to do so. We have a lot of room for improvement. I'm very happy because, beyond the systems, the key is effort, mentality, and teamwork, and we're achieving that."

Asked if his team is stronger with four midfielders, Arbeloa explained that "the goal is always to be solid".

"It's very difficult these days to play good football if you're not solid, compact, and don't know how to press high up the pitch," he added.

"To do all that, you need a lot of concentration, a lot of work and training. [Federico] Valverde, [Eduardo] Camavinga, [Aurelien] Tchouameni, and [Arda] Guler are doing a fantastic job [in midfield], and I don't need to tell them anything new."

Another major shift has been in squad availability. Former Liverpool right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold and Germany centre-half Antonio Rudiger have both returned after spells out with injury, strengthening Arbeloa's defensive options.

Arbeloa was particularly complimentary of Alexander-Arnold after Saturday's 4–1 victory over Real Sociedad, where the full-back provided an assist - and his coach said Real were "lucky to have" him.

"We're not going to discover anything new about Trent," Arbeloa told Real Madrid TV.

"It was a nice surprise to see how he understands the game, how he finds the spaces. Those things are very important for a coach - having players who understand what we want."

Arbeloa selected Alexander-Arnold ahead of Spain's Dani Carvajal, with both players fit again, while Valverde was restored to his preferred role in midfield.

However, Real remain without England midfielder Jude Bellingham - who is not expected back until April having injured his hamstring last month - while Brazil defender Eder Militao will not feature again this season because of a knee injury.

Raul Asencio and Rodrygo will also be absent on Tuesday through suspension.

Click here to read article

Related Articles